A DAY WITHOUT LEARNING IS A DAY WITHOUT LIVING

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Finding Room in the Kitchen

Now that I have decided to stay here in my apartment I started looking at where all my room is going to come from for storage. If you do not get frustrated and just relax you will be surprised at how much room you can find. My first area was in my kitchen which is a basic apartment kitchen 7 1/2' X 15' with 6' of the 15' being a dining area.
The first place I looked at were the cabinets which do not go all the way to the ceiling. WOW! all kinds of space. 2 sets of cabinets each 8' long and you have a lot of space up there. On one side I have stored paper towels, there is enough space to stash 24 rolls of paper towels there. The other side I have not figured out what to put there yet. Remember one thing with this area of storage, it is against the ceiling and heat rises! Make sure you do not put anything up there that is sensitive to heat.
Next I looked at the cabinets themselves, lots of space but how can I use them best? Storing food? NO. Except for a few items I use constantly like spices my cabinets contain cooking items, tupperware type items and foodsaver stuff. The bottom cabinets contain items I rarely use (items kept for power outages and such) and larger cooking items. The upper cabinets are dishes, pyrex, small pots, ect.
One big thing I did was something many people don't like to do. I went through and got rid of unneeded items. You really have to stand there and decide what you do want to keep and what you want to get rid of. Don't throw the stuff away, remember someone somewhere can use it.
Look around with open eyes and you can find a lot of space.

No comments:

Post a Comment