A DAY WITHOUT LEARNING IS A DAY WITHOUT LIVING

Monday, April 12, 2010

Food Storage for the single guy

Being single it is sometimes hard to find good posts about what to stash away. Most sites talk about families and for me the items they tell you to stock up on just does not work for me. I do enjoy cooking but can't bake worth beans, to me baking is just to precise. So, for me all the baking items fall to the bottom of any list I have. First and foremost is animals, I raise chickens and rabbits along with hunting, fishing and trapping. Being born and raised on a farm I grew up eating deer, rabbit, woodchuck, squirrel and raccoon. My meat is all set as long as all wildlife does not die. I know most preople will cringe when they think about eating some of these meats but you should try them. Find someone that knows how to cook them and follow their instructions. Raccoon is a meat that takes a special hand to cook properly since it is so fatty.
For vegetables I of course have my gardens and being single I do not need huge gardens. I only plant items that I enjoy eating and can be preserved easily by either canning or dehydrating. Here is a hint with vegetables that produce more than expected, or if you want, plant more than you need, give them each fall to your neighbors. Do not charge, just give them to them. When TSHTF a friendly neighbor is better to have than someone you don't even know. I also let my rabbits and chickens enjoy the leftovers or over ripe items, they love it.
I also have stocked up on a large supply of canned goods. Some may not think this is a good idea but as long as you rotate your stocks you should never have a problem. Almost all can goods have a best buy date on them, remember best buy is not an expiration date and an expiration date is not stamped in gold that it is no good after that date. One of the best items I have found is canned fish items such as salmon and tuna. Check them out, they are very good for your health and the best by dates are usually 2 to 3 years from your date of purchase.
My best find has to be made by B&M. For a guy that can't bake this item is god sent. the item is canned baked bread and has a 2 year best by date. It comes in 2 styles that I have found so far, brown bread and brown bread with raisins. I feel this is perfect for the single survivor who can't bake.
Take a day or three and give yourself time to just walk around your local markets and look at everything in cans. You will be surprised at what you will find. Buy one of something that peaks your interest and give it a try. I also recommend you make a list of items you want to buy and go to the different stores and price check, you will be surprised at the difference in prices from one store to another.

No comments:

Post a Comment