A DAY WITHOUT LEARNING IS A DAY WITHOUT LIVING

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Single and Spicy

Being a single guy and a survivalist I have always had to think of ways that will make my life a little easier when everything around me has taken a turn for the worst. One of those categories is with my cooking, I'm a guy! I don't mind cooking and I think I am ok at it but, I am not Bobby Flay. That is where the spicy part come into the picture. At first you may be able to do some good cooking with all those supplies you have stocked up on. Sooner or later you are going to end up eating things that you just would not classify as even good.
I can remember back when I was a kid and mom would bake Spam with a sprinkle of brown sugar on each slice to make them taste just a little better for us kids. She never had to do it, I always enjoyed Spam anyway, but it made me realize how you could make something taste so much better. Every time I go shopping for my pantry I always pick up a few spices and throw them in the cart. I have tried baking many times over the years and have failed every time, I think it has something to do with everything having to be so precise in the measurements. Anyway, without baking I can limit my spices down to just a needed few.
First and foremost stock up on salt and pepper! These two are the most important ones ever. After those two I prefer to stock up on Lowry's season salt. I probably have more season salt than anything other seasoning and that is because it is so universal. I tried many different season salts till I found Lowry's I love the taste it gives foods. After these three comes the rest of my simple seasoning to help make all your survival cooking taste better.
Onion and garlic powder, make sure it is powder, why add more salt when not needed. Italian seasoning needed for any pasta stuff you make. Chicken seasoning and roast beef seasoning great for your meat dishes. Paprika and chili powder for those who want a little hot to the spice. Crushed red pepper for my Italian dishes, soups and stews. Last but not least is lemon pepper seasoning, I love the flavor of this on almost all fish dishes. I almost forgot, sugars, white and brown. I got to have my sweets.
That's it, 14 different spices that will perk up anything you can whip up in an emergency. I can not forget about cost when I talk about anything since I hate to spend money. Most of my spices I buy from various dollar stores, why should I pay the big grocery store $2.50 for a bottle of spice when I can get the exact same bottle at the dollar store. I may go overboard here but when I get home I use my foodsaver and seal every bottle in an airtight bag with a silica gel pack thrown in. Better safe than sorry, I always say. When I do this I use one of the bags I have already used for something else and have cleaned out well, save a couple cents!
So, go out and start sampling different spices and find out what you like and stock up on them, it will make that squirrel stew or grilled woodchuck taste so much better.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent advice and one I follow as well. Things can get bland and boring after awhile and spices can really overcome that boredom.

    ReplyDelete