A DAY WITHOUT LEARNING IS A DAY WITHOUT LIVING

Sunday, May 9, 2010

My Daily Backpack

You see them all over the place, many kids carry backpacks where ever they go. These kids have all their junk in them, all the electronic games, phones, books and who knows what else. I may be 50ish but I also carry a backpack around with me about 80% of the time. The only difference is my backpack has items in it that I need. First and foremost is a medium sized first aid kit, homemade with items I want in it like forceps, scalpel, medications, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, bandages, ect. I of course have my cell phone in there, a knife, all kinds of things for survival.
There is one item that I have that makes some people ask why. The item (actually 4 items) are garbage bags. Yep, you heard me garbage bags. I carry 4 of the heavy duty (4 mil) black garbage bags in my backpack. Why, you ask. These bags can be used for many reasons, lets look at a few of them.
1. It is raining or snowing, a small hole in the end of one bag and I have a quick poncho.
2. I am freezing and it is daylight out, same bag over me will warm me up a lot with the sunshine on it.
3. I am out in the woods and it is becoming night, 2 bags stuffed with leaves and/or pine needles will make a great bed between you and the ground. The other 2 bags filled the same way will make blankets.
4. I can use the bags to cover up firewood to keep it dry. Put my gear in one to keep that dry.
5. Winter time I can shove snow in one and let the heat from the sun melt it so I can have water. Or, scoop the bag into a stream to have more than one quart at a time.
There are many uses for a garbage bag during a survival situation. Make sure you get the heavy duty ones and have at least 4 in every location you can think of. Your BOB, the trunk of your car, your backpack, at your hideaway. Where ever you think you will be have a few bags at the ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment