A DAY WITHOUT LEARNING IS A DAY WITHOUT LIVING

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Firefighting On The Homestead

Many people plan and plan for survival at their homestead, storing food, water, tools, all kinds of things. One thing I believe many overlook is firefighting items. Look around your homestead and picture a small fire starting right now. Quick! Can you put it out? What if you where sleeping and a fire started? Are you prepared?
Fire was the one thing I had never really thought about as I built my homestead until my best friend mentioned it. It woke my eyes up and now I am much more prepared than before.
Here is my basic set-up and I think you will agree each of you should have something like this. First off I have 5 extinquishers in my house and 1 in each out building. Why 5 you ask, back-ups or a bigger fire. I also have 3 smoke detectors in the house and 1 in each out building and those are hard wired into the house detectors. I also have 2 55 gallon barrels that are designated for fire use that are always full thanks to rain water. One of them is near the house, the other centered between the out buildings. I have a small pump set-up on top of the barrel by the house that is battery powered and solar charged and can pump water thru the hose hooked to it. This set-up is light enough to move to the other barrel if I need it there, it the future I want to build one just for that barrel also. The solar charger I used is just one of the trickle chargers that you buy for your car battery, small and light weight.
I know these steps will not stop every fire but it will give me a better chance than someone who just has one fire extinquisher or none at all. Take a look around your homestead and think fire, then think about how you can prepare yourself a lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment