A DAY WITHOUT LEARNING IS A DAY WITHOUT LIVING

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

My Favorite Kitchen Item For Survival

I think out of all the gadgets I have my Foodsaver Vacuum system is my favorite. The Foodsaver system is great for a single survivor or a family but, especially the single survivor. I have to admit, my sister gave me this system so I really saved money. Unless you are a person who needs everything brand new I recommend you check out garage sales, want ads and Ebay before you buy a new one, you will save a fortune. The newer ones do have some nicer features but why spend when you don't have to.
What I love with this system is that as a prepper I can buy large and break down a food item into 1 or 2 servings per package. For instance, I will buy a 64oz box of powdered milk and break it down into amounts so I only have to make a qt at a time without having a whole box open all the time. I do not know if it is truely needed but whenever I vacuum seal a dry item I always throw in a silica gel pack, better safe than sorry. You can do this with so many items, powdered milk, mashed potato flakes, oatmeal, seasonings, ect.
I also enjoy a few of the pasta side dishes that come in packets that are in every grocery store. What I do with these is I make a small slice at the top of the package, put the whole thing into a foodsaver bag along with a silica pack and I vacuum seal it. This way I can always tell with ease what is in the bag and the instructions are right there. So far I have used some that are 2 years old with no problem.
Last but not least, do not go with the hype of you have to buy the bags or cantainers that are the same brand, almost all of them work with each other. I purchase all my bags in quanity from a seller on Ebay, saving money.

No comments:

Post a Comment