A DAY WITHOUT LEARNING IS A DAY WITHOUT LIVING

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Wearing Glasses

There are many people out there that wear glasses, including me. I was just sitting here and it popped into my mind that I have been wearing glasses for 43 years now. I won't say I am blind without them but they are a very necessary part of my life as I am sure they are for many of you out there. Have any of you considered them when you plan for survival? Something so simple and so necessary for you but something to easily forget.
At any time I have the pair of glasses that I wear daily but, I also have 2 backup pairs. Over all the decades that I have worn glasses and I have never understood why people pay so much for glasses. I am talking hundreds of dollars for a single pair, to me that is such a waste of money. Why, because they have someone else's name on them? So you can look cool? Not good reasons to spend money you don't have to.
Except for my time in the Army I have always went to America's Best for my glasses. There, you get 2 pair of glasses for less than $100. Since I do wear glasses, there is one thing that I almost overlooked and that was my glasses inside my M17A2 gas mask. Over the years my eyes, like others, have gotten a little worst every year. I asked them at America's Best about getting glasses for frames that I already owned, I almost fainted with their answer. If you bring in your own frames you have to pay for the eye exam and stuff. In other words it would cost a lot more.
So, I had to rethink how I would get new glasses for my gas mask. Then it came to me, and you can do this for any pair of glasses. I took one lens out of my inserts and took it with me to the store. It took a lot longer to find the frames I wanted but it was worth it. I finally found frames the same shape and size as my inserts in a female pair of frames they offered. Once they were ready I went in and they adjusted my real glasses for my face and I told them not to worry about the other pair. I went home and with my eye glass kit from my bug out bag I took the lenses out of the new "spare" glasses and put them into my frames for my gas mask.
Those lenses should be good for years so next time I buy from them I will do as I always do, one pair with the transitions and one pair normal. I save the normal ones and my old pair as back-ups for emergencies. Within 2 years I have good inserts for my gas mask, new glasses to wear and back-ups, not a bad deal for less than $200.
So, next time all you that have to wear glasses should think about back-ups. One last note, if you don't really need glasses, maybe your eyes are just a hair off, check out the reading glasses at a dollar store and pick up a few pair.

No comments:

Post a Comment