A DAY WITHOUT LEARNING IS A DAY WITHOUT LIVING

Friday, April 30, 2010

Free Stuff Is Best

Over all the years I have enjoyed always getting free stuff, just like most people do. I am not a picky person and I need new, even if it does not work I might take it because I can fix it. The last ten years I have slowly made some nice connections to acquire items I need. I am sure if you take a little time and look around you too can find some of the same places near you. As long as you are willing to do all the work you too can save a lot of money.
First lets talk compost since that is on the top of everyones lists. My compost is totally free except for the work. I have a neighbor who has raised goats and a few horses most of their lives and they have HUGE piles of manure out back of the barn. I have known them all my life and I know it is all organic and since it has been there so long it is ready for use. In return I give them excess garden goodies and some eggs now and then.
Another item I get for free is mulch. The mulch I get is in the form of wood chips which I use as mulch and in the compost pile also. You might find it weird but I get truck loads of mulch from a town dump nearby. That's right a dump, they have a huge industrial wood chipper and all the tree limbs, christmas trees, ect that is brought in is chipped up into a pile anyone can come and take away.
Firewood is another item I get at this dump. Many times they have a pile of chuncks of trees that free for the taking. Since I am from a very small country town I know everyone, especially those on the local highway departments. These departments yearly go around and clean up trees around the roads and I get to go there and pick up any wood I want or depending on where they are working they will drive by and just dump all the wood right at my home. Since I do not have access to my own acres of woods, getting all this firewood for free saves a lot of money.
Another find is at the dumps also and that is all the stuff people throw away. You would not believe all the good stuff that is thrown away, good as in perfectly good. I have picked up an air conditioner, rugs, carpeting, cabinets, computers and bicycles. As a matter of fact the first computer I ever had I built from a few bad computers I picked up at my local dump. If you are close enough to a larger town dump there can also be tons of free building materials, many contractors will throw out all their leftovers. Apartment complexs will throw away all the appliences when they renovate apartments. A dump can be a gold mind.
So you see you can get so much for free, just look around and ask permission. The large dump I talk about was all too glad to let me go and pick up anything I wanted, it was less they had to pay to get rid of. BTW I don't live in that town, don't be afraid to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment